Begin forwarded message:
From: “Pablo Alvarado, Director of NDLON” <pabloalvarado>
Date: January 3, 2016 at 1:29:37 PM CST
Subject: URGENT ALERT: Obama Begins Planned Mass Deportation of Central American Families
(en Español abajo)
As you may have heard, there have been recent reports that the Obama administration would begin mass deportations in the new year. Today we have heard the first reports that U.S. authorities have begun to implement this plan in Atlanta.
In what has been described as a “large-scale effort to deport families who fled violence in Central America,” we have heard reports that DHS/ICE is coordinating with the Salvadoran consulate. We understand that DHS/ICE may be targeting for deportation
- those with open deportation orders,
- those who have signed for voluntary departure,
- families with a negative credible or reasonable fear determinations who were never issued a Notice to Appear, and
- those who litigated and lost legal claims.
Remember these basic rules:
- Do not open the door for immigration agents.
- Do not answer the questions of immigration agents. You have the right to remain silent—even if you are detained. You do not need to give your name or identity documents. You have the right to speak with a lawyer.
- Do not lie or show any false documents.
- If you are at work or on the street or in a public place, ask the immigration agent if you are free to go. If the agent says yes, walk away slowly and calmly.
- If you are at home, ask the officer if they have a warrant. A warrant is a paper signed by a judge giving the officer permission to enter your home. The warrant will specify what areas of your home they are allowed to search. If the officer has a warrant, ask them to slip it under the door. Only then should you let them in.
More details to come about a call early this week to share information and coordinate a response.
THE RAIDS MUST STOP! WE MUST STAND TOGETHER!
National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON)