*Please note additional LULAC events in Des Moines, IA have been announced
League of United Latin American Citizens
1133 19th Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
January 30, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tania Mercado | 626-818-4462 | tmercado
TODAY: LULAC to Host Press Conference and Organize “Stop the Hate Rally” Ahead of Trump Visit to Des Moines, Iowa
– Additional Events in Des Moines Announced –
Nation’s Oldest & Largest Latino Civil Rights Organization to Discuss Successful Voter Outreach Campaign; 70% of Adult Latinos Are Now Registered to Vote in the Hawkeye State
Des Moines, Iowa – The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) will hold a press conference TODAY, Thursday, January 30th, 2020 at 9:30am CT at the Iowa State Capitol to announce the results of the organization’s Latino voter outreach efforts in the state, as well as to discuss issues of importance the powerful Latino electorate there.
Following the morning press conference, LULAC will be joined by 400 members of the community at Drake University TODAY, Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 7:00pm CT for the “Stop the Hate Rally” in response to President Trump’s visit. The purpose of this peaceful rally is not to disrupt the event, but rather to call out the harm that the Trump Administration’s policies have inflicted on the Latino community.
On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 2:00pm CT, LULAC National and LULAC Iowa will join Poder Latinx, Democratic Municipal Officials (DMO), and Voto Latino, for a phone banking event aimed at engaging voters ahead of the caucuses. This event is open to the press.
- National and local LULAC leaders discuss the latest figures in Latino voter outreach and implications for the 2020 Iowa Caucuses
- LULAC Iowa and community members organize "Stop the Hate Rally" ahead of President Trump’s visit to Drake University
- LULAC joins other national organizations for a phone banking event
- Domingo Garcia, LULAC National President
- Joe Henry, LULAC Advisor to the President for Civic Engagement and Elections and President of Latinos United of Iowa LULAC Council 307
- Nick Salazar, LULAC Iowa State Director and President of LULAC Council 371
- Newly registered, first-time Latino voters
- TODAY, Thursday, January 30th, 2020 9:30am CT – Press Conference
- TONIGHT, Thursday, January 30th, 2020 7:00pm CT – “Stop the Hate Rally” at Drake University
- SATURDAY, February 1st, 2020 2:00pm CT – Phone banking event and panel discussion on the Latino Vote in 2020
- TODAY, 1/30 at 9:30am CT – Press Conference
- Iowa State Capitol – Room 15 (Lower Level), 1007 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA
TONIGHT, 1/30 at 6:45pm CT – Stop the Hate Rally
- Drake University – Across from the Knapp Center on 25th Street at the parking lot area just south of Forest Avenue and north of University Avenue, next to the Patty and Fred Turner Jazz Center
- SATURDAY, February 1st, 2020 at 2:00pm CT – Phone banking event (open to press)
- Truman’s KC Pizza Tavern – 400 SE 6th ST, Des Moines, IA
RSVP: Media interested in attending any of the events listed above should RSVP here. Please indicate which event you would plan to attend.
Follow the action on social media at #Latin@sInIowa | @LULAC | @AdelanteConDomingo
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) is the nation’s largest and oldest Hispanic civil rights volunteer-based organization that empowers Hispanic Americans and builds strong Latino communities. Headquartered in Washington, DC, with 1,000 councils around the United States and Puerto Rico, LULAC’s programs, services, and advocacy address the most important issues for Latinos, meeting critical needs of today and the future. For more information, visit